How to Recycle EV Batteries: The Process
EV batteries are a lithium based rechargeable battery that contains nickel, cobalt and copper. They are the main power source of:
- Electric vehicles
- Solar power storage
- Emergency power backups (UPS)
- Power tools
After a while, these batteries wear down and must be replaced. This typically happens because of aging, overuse and overcharging. Therefore, manufacturers and consumers must discard these scrap EV batteries. This is where EV battery recycling companies perform their job. These EV battery recycling companies follow the EV battery recycling process.
The Process of Recycling EV Batteries
There are numerous steps to follow in order to reuse the scarce materials within EV batteries:
- First, EV battery recycling companies buy or sell scrap EV batteries. As a result, these companies get a hold of cobalt, nickel and copper.
- After this, the batteries are deactivated. This must happen in order for the process to begin.
- Subsequently, the EV batteries are placed in a specialized room. Because of this, the room is oxygen-free.
- Then, the procedure of extracting metals from their ores (hydrometallurgy) occurs.
- Furthermore, the process of using aqueous solutions to extract metal from other metal bearing materials (leaching) occurs.
- Next, the battery components are separated into three different categories. These categories are cobalt, steel, and aluminum, copper and plastic.
- Lastly, EV battery recycling companies sell these recycled materials.
EV battery recycling helps protect the environment by reusing their valuable materials and reducing pollution. Additionally, there is a chance for a potential profit by selling scrap EV batteries to recycling services like Interco. In order to manufacture EV batteries, it is crucial that people sell EV batteries to professional recyclers. One can also purchase EV batteries from Interco in order to power vehicles.
Now that the process of recycling EV batteries has been examined, why is this procedure important?
The Importance of Recycling EV batteries
Recycling scrap EV batteries helps the environment by reusing materials and diminishing pollution. Some of these valuable, reusable materials that EV batteries contain are:
These materials are rare and are common in the production of new items including new EV batteries. Additionally, this leads to an overall smaller landfill population which causes pollution decrease. There is also a chance to make some money by selling scrap EV batteries to companies like Interco whereas throwing them out has no consumer benefit.
Also, there has been a significant push by people, governments and different organizations to strive for a greener world. One large way to take a step in the right direction is by selling, purchasing and recycling EV batteries.
As a whole, EV batteries have numerous scarce and reusable parts including copper, cobalt and nickel. EV battery recycling helps to reuse these materials, reduce overall pollution and even provides the opportunity to make money. You can even buy EV batteries from services like Interco if you are interested.
To learn more, click here to contact Interco.