Why Should You Recycle EV Batteries?
EV batteries are a lithium based rechargeable battery that contain nickel, cobalt and copper. They are the main power source of:
- Electric vehicles
- Solar power storage
- Emergency power backups (UPS)
- Power tools
Over time, these batteries wear down and must be replaced. This usually happens because of aging, overuse and overcharging. So, these scrap EV batteries must be disposed of. This is where EV battery recycling companies play their part by performing the process of recycling EV batteries.
Before breaking down the recycling process, it is imperative to understand why this process is so important.
The Importance of EV Battery Recycling
Recycling EV batteries helps the environment by reusing materials and diminishing pollution. Some valuable and reusable materials contained within EV batteries include:
These materials are scarce and can be reused for several items including new EV batteries. Also, this leads to an overall smaller landfill population which causes a decrease in pollution. There is also an opportunity to make a profit by selling scrap EV batteries to companies like Interco instead of just tossing them and making no profit.
Additionally, there has been a giant push by people, governments and different organizations to strive for a greener world. One significant way to improve this is by selling, purchasing and recycling EV batteries.
Now that the importance of recycle scrap EV batteries has been examined, it is vital to be familiar with the recycling process.
The Process of EV Battery Recycling
To achieve these positive environmental benefits, there are several steps to follow:
- First, EV battery recycling companies buy or sell scrap EV Batteries. Because of this, companies get a hold of cobalt, nickel and copper.
- Then, the recycler deactivates the batteries. This must happen for the process to begin.
- Furthermore, the EV batteries are placed in a special room. Because of this, the room is oxygen-free.
- Next, the procedure of extracting metals from their ores (hydrometallurgy) occurs.
- Subsequently, the process of using aqueous solutions to extract metal from other metal bearing materials (leaching) occurs.
- After this, the recycler separates the battery components into three different categories. These categories are cobalt, steel and aluminum, copper and plastic.
- Finally, recycling companies sell these recycled materials.
Recycling EV batteries helps protect the environment by reusing its valuable materials and diminishing pollution. Also, there is an opportunity to make money by selling scrap EV batteries to services like Interco. To manufacture EV batteries, it is vital for people to sell their EV batteries to EV battery recycling companies. Interco also purchases EV batteries for consumers to power vehicles.
Overall, EV batteries have an abundance of rare and reusable parts including copper, cobalt and nickel. Recycling EV batteries reuses these materials, reduces overall pollution and even provides an opportunity to earn a profit through selling scrap EV batteries. Interco also sells EV batteries to interested consumers.
If you are interested in EV battery recycling, click here to get in touch with Interco.