Reputable ISRI PV Solar Panel Modules Recycler
The Importance of a Reputable ISRI PV Solar Panel Modules Recycler
Solar panels contribute to the earth’s sustainable development. Solar-powered photovoltaic (PV) panels convert the sun’s beams into electricity by transferring electrons in silicon cells using the photons of light. They are a sustainable source of energy that is good for the environment. They only rely on solar radiation and are capable of delivering electricity to homes and businesses. In the early 2000s, the use of solar panels grew tremendously. In the United States alone, there were over 2 million installations of solar panels. So, what should you do with your scrap solar panels after they reach the end of their lives? You should sell them to a reputable ISRI PV solar panel modules recycler.
With such a high number of solar panels in use, scrap piles will build up quickly. Thus, solar panel recycling is essential for the sake of the environment. Recycling solar panels can reduce what goes to the landfill, reduce waste, and save on energy used to produce materials. Through recycling, recycling centers are able to recover over 80 percent of a crystalline silicon unit for each solar panel. Also, there are other recyclable components like: electric junction boxes, glass and plastics, and aluminum frames and brackets.
Since solar panels have an average lifespan of 30 years, the panels installed in the early 2000s will be reaching the end of their lives soon. Moreover, companies will need to decide how to deal with the increase in scrap piles and an option is working with a reputable ISRI PV solar panel modules recycler.
What is the ISRI?
ISRI stands for the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, Inc. The ISRI is the voice of the recycling industry advocating safe, economically sustainable, and environmentally responsible recycling through networking, advocacy, and education.
Furthermore, the ISRI provides a real-time searchable membership directory to facility member interaction and provides the public with recycler contact information. The directory is searchable by individual, company, or commodity handled, with links to emails and company website.
Why Work with a Reputable ISRI Solar Panel Modules Recycler?
Recycling solar panels needs to be done properly. If solar panels end up in landfills, they will be causing additional problems. For instance, solar panels contain toxic metals like lead and cadmium. If these metals leak in landfills and enter our drinking water, lead causes problems with the human nervous system and cadmium can cause cancer. Furthermore, working with a reputable ISRI PV solar panel modules recycler, guarantees proper recycling of solar panels. Also, it makes recycling solar panels easy.
Interco is a global recycling company providing metals, computers, and electronics recycling services to industrial, dealer, and government organizations throughout the western hemisphere. The recycler specializes in the placement of smelter-ready materials throughout the world utilizing established partnerships with end consumers in the United States, Europe, and Asia.
Furthermore, the organization has been a member of the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, Inc. since 1996.
The company processes more than 1,000 tons of scrap solar panel modules each month. We recycle solar panels based on their type. There are two main types of solar panels: silicon-based and thin-film based panels. As a result, there are two different methods of recycling solar panels:
Silicon Based Solar Panel Recycling
- Recycling silicon-based solar panels begins with the dismantling of the panels. This process separates its aluminum and glass. Both materials are individually recyclable.
- Then, they subject the rest of the modules to a temperature of 500◦ Celsius. This takes place in a thermal processing unit to ease the bonds between the cell elements.
- Once the heat is applied, the plastic evaporates. This leaves the silicon cells for processing.
- After the heat treatment, the melting process separates the hardware. The separate the hardware, which is 80 percent reusable, from the silicon particles.
- As a result, material is ready for use in the new silicon modules.
Thin-Film Based Solar Panel Recycling
- Recycling solar panels of this type speeds up the process. It completes the process faster and more drastically.
- Machines shred the thin film-based panels from the mill the material. This ensures all particles are approximately 4-5 mm in size.
- Unlike silicon-based panels, a rotating screw separates the remaining solid and liquid materials.
- Consequently, the process purifies liquids through precipitation. It also separates them from the semiconductor materials through a metal processor.
- Recyclers remove the contaminated solid materials containing inter-layer materials. Furthermore, a vibrating surface separates these materials.
- Approximately 90% of these materials are reintroduced. Most can be used in the re-manufacturing processes.
Silicon-based panels are more widely used than thin-film based panels. This is because silicon-based panels use process technologies with a huge database. This makes them more reliable.
Without recycling, these scrap solar panels will cause more landfills. Recycling centers, when recycling solar panels, are assisting to reduce landfills, protect natural resources and reduce overall pollution.
Interco is a Reputable ISRI PV Solar Panel Modules Recycler
Overall, solar panels are going to reach end of life status, at a high volume, in a few years. Companies will need to decide on how to handle it. Working with a reputable ISRI PV solar panel modules recycler, like Interco, makes it easy. To learn more about a reputable ISRI PV solar panel modules recycler, click here.